Thursday, February 5, 2009

A fond memory, from England.

Thank you for a wonderful memory for so many reasons.

1980 Cincinnati, Ohio. I was a 9 year old having recently moved to America and with a very strong British accent, being introduced to this larger than life character called Walt Muir who proceeded to invite me to my first American Football game. The Cincinnati Bengals versus The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I remember being very excited but also a little nervous as I was the only child going along.

I remember about 9 or 10 people piling into this enormous brown convertible and heading down to the game. Not finding parking, Walt made his own, moving traffic cones and parking the very discreet brown convertible where the road works were. I remember thinking wow this is great in America you can park anywhere, not that I had ever paid attention to parking before in my life!

We then proceeded to the game and it was a party atmosphere the whole time. I remember thinking this is great, I am watching a sport that I have no idea what is happening and everyone is having a great time (might have been the beer!!).

Walt always checked that I was ok and enjoying myself, he also asked did I understand what was going on, which of course being British I said yes. The Bengals lost but what I remember most was the kindness, generosity and consideration that Walt showed to me. The way I will remember Walt or Mr Muir to me, is as one of the good guys who did win and had a great time doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment