Monday, February 2, 2009

Words of Wisdom

Many years ago when I was a 26 year old techie with Cincom and was in Cincinnati for some meeting or other, Wally goaded me into playing a game of football with other colleagues. I wasn't a jock and had played little but I was a fast runner. I missed every pass thrown to me.

He later took me aside and said: "You've obviously never had any training at all, and your problem is simple: you just don't keep your eyes on the ball. You'll never get the ball if your not really looking for it. Come to think of it, you should probably keep that in mind in your professional life too because that's what I do. At any rate, I think you'll probably make a better golfer than a football player."

He was absolutely right in his advice, and just as wrong about the golf. The fact that I remember his advice and that day illustrates how Walt's engaging way made him hard to forget. A bright light is lost to us that now shines brilliantly elsewhere. John Cannon. Mississauga, Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment